Wednesday, May 31, 2006

In Memory of a Student

Nechama Liba Holman , A”H


How was a young child able, in her youthful life, to accept suffering and uncertainty so well? Nechama was 5 years old when she knew she that she was having a tremendous problem, that she needed an emergency bag with her at all times, and  that with every breath going in and out she was thankful, because she did not know where she would be tomorrow. But at that age she was able to accept it, and to have such a great nature that all the kids loved her. The teachers loved her. When she came back to school she wouldn’t complain saying, “Oh why is it me, look at me, I had to be out of school.” Nothing. She was happy to be back and she wouldn’t complain. She would come into the library, sit down, and pick up the books. She would smile when she came in, and smile when she was going out. Never, “Oh, I didn’t have the book, oh, why didn’t you have this . . . .” Nothing. She accepted what she had and she went on her way. At times other children (they should live and be well and not know of any tzoros) would complain that there are not enough books, that this or that is not right. Not Nechama. To me, this was not an ordinary child. She was just an angel. You hear children say, “Where did you go on your vacation?” “Oh, I was bored, I didn’t like this, I didn’t like that.” I never heard Nechama say this. I never heard her complain that a vacation was too long or too short or not good enough. Never. That is so unusual, and how many of us can emulate it?. She wanted only to be alive, and to be with her loved ones. She was happy. She wasn’t looking for anything above and beyond. We who are healthy walk around and say, oh, the weather isn’t good enough, and oh, this wasn’t right, and I couldn’t buy that, I couldn’t go there. We always have a whole list of complaints and things we must have to make us happy. Here, a young child who knew she was sick was able to accept everything, just happy to be alive. What a lesson that is. We can’t afford to forget her, because then we would have to say on Yom Kippur, “Oh G-d I shouldn’t have asked for this, I’m sorry for that.” Nechama accepted life, and we have to learn from her. It would be a wonderful lesson. How much we would learn someiach b’chelki, to be happy with my lot. We say it, but we don’t know how to live it. She lived it, and if we remember this lesson then we can never forget her, because she internalized those words, being happy, satisfied, and content. Now she is in Heaven with all the other angels.
Nechama Liba, a zeese neshoma, an angel that we were blessed to have for such a short time. Nechama Liba with her gentle and giving nature, accepting life’s challenges without complaining, taught us all how precious life is -- to be thankful for every moment of life. Nechama, in my mind’s eye I see you in our new library looking at and enjoying the books, and telling us all to be happy. We all love you and we will remember.
     ----------written by a  teacher

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Goal is to post at least 2x per week on Sunday and Wednesday.
Blogarama